Old browsers support

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Hi,

I am interested in evaluating the framework.

I read the "Please don't limit to IE9" post. Just want to further clarify my understanding.

For Silk to run in old cross browsers, e.g. IE6, 7, 8, and Firefox 3.6, the Silk doco said they are not supported. I wonder that it means. Does it make the Web App not usable? Or is it like what some doco said about using Modernizr to have those not supported features degrade gracefully?

Unlike individual Internet users, lots of corporate users are still restricted to their Standard Operating Environment at work, using IE6, 8 and Firefox 3.6, especially those who are thinking upgrading to Win7 with IE8 in the near future. Does Silk able to work with these old browsers? If so, what are the limitations?

Thanks

Terry

Developer
Nov 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Hi Terry,

From the Introductory chapter in the Silk documentation in MSDN,

"The application offers two types of user experiences:

1. A traditional website experience. In this approach, a form post and page reload are executed each time a button or hyperlink is clicked.
  2. A rich website experience. In this approach, the initial page is loaded once, and server requests are only made when new data is required or updated. In addition to other user-friendly features, the lack of a full-page reload enables the animation of client-side state changes.

The rich website approach provides a superior experience for the user, as the application feels more responsive and more like a desktop application. However, because some users do not have scripting enabled or available on their user agent (web browser or accessibility tool, such as a screen reader), which is necessary for the partial-page reloads, we must also support the traditional website experience.

In the traditional approach, the ASP.NET MVC controllers are responsible for acquiring data and for returning a built-up view that consists of HTML structure and data. In the case of the rich website experience, we perform asynchronous data requests and the controller returns only data. The client then renders the data in the user interface (UI) without reloading the whole page."

So, for browsers with limited support for scripting, the traditional website experience will apply, thus making it possible to use applications developed under Silk's guidance in these scenarios. On the other hand, since the rich website experience approach relies on jQuery, it seems possible for users to benefit from applications following this approach even with browsers that do not fully comply with the latest standards, due to the abstractions created by jQuery. You can check the jQuery browser compatibility here.

I hope you find this helpful.

Guido Leandro Maliandi 
http://blogs.southworks.net/gmaliandi