Why not Single-page interface + animation?

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hi,

Why the team chosed Hybrid?

• Hybrid design. This model is similar to the server-rendered web application, except that it relies heavily on client-side JavaScript to deliver an engaging experience. This type of application has islands of interactivity within the site that do not require full-page reloads to change the UI as well as some pages that do require a full-page reload. Mileage Stats is an example of a hybrid design.
  • Single-page interface. In this model, a full-page load happens only once. From that point on, all page changes and data loading is performed without a full-page reload. Hotmail, Office Live, and Twitter are examples of single-page-interface web applications.
  • Developer
    Jan 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Edited Jan 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Hi,

In my opinion this is mostly a design choice. I agree with you that using the Single Page approach would provide a superior experience to the user. However, take into account that in the case of Mileage Stats the majority of user interactions occur within a single page, which reveals a great adherence to the SPI pattern.

Also, I believe the choice of the Hybrid design, helps to understand the different ways to navigate across the application, as the different experiences can be easily perceived.

On the other hand, this choice might also be related to the fact, that as this is intended to be a cross-browser web application and some users do not have scripting enabled or available on their user agent (web browser or accessibility tool, such as a screen reader), which is necessary for the partial-page reloads, the traditional website experience is supported.

Regards,

Agustin Adami
    http://blogs.southworks.net/aadami

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Hi aadami.

Thanks a lot.