Have the team ever consider about the Upshort libraries?

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I am very interested and doubt about the Upshort libraries. Do your team consider about those libraries before implement this Project Silk?

It really full client cach like DataContext of the Silvelright.

Do you have any feed back with those technologies? So that I would like to decide which way I should go.

I really appreciated that your team implemented this great Web App. I was found that Upshort only return JSON data and it doesn't know other type of data.

I also have learned some knockout libraries.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM

So far I'm not familiarized with "UpShort libraries" you mentioned. As far as I know the team considered different libraries like Backbone.js and Knockout.js that could help you implement the MVC and MVVM patterns, but didn't used them in Mileage Stats to keep external dependencies on other libraries to a minimum.

These libraries will usually have a positive impact on the overall design of the application by making it easier to control the separation of concerns that is so important to complex user interfaces. Therefore if your UI has a number of screens made up of multiple regions and includes complex interaction patterns, and having additional dependencies is acceptable to you, you might consider applying these patterns and using these kind of libraries.

Also you could find more information in the following chapter of the Silk documentation:

I hope you find this handy,

Agustin Adami

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Hi aadami,

Thanks, Upshort libraries are from Microsoft http://www.asp.net/single-page-application/an-introduction-to-spa/overview/landingpage

(Formerly called Ria/JS)

Have you ever seen that before?

what is the best between Backbon.js and Knockout.js?

Best regards.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Based on my understanding both seems like good alternatives that will help you control the separation of concerns in your application. Which one you choose will mostly depend on your personal preferences and the requirements of your scenario.

In my opinion, if you plan to implement the MVVM pattern, I believe Knockout could be a good choice because of its easy to use model bindings between the HTML and Model and the seamless integration with this kind of pattern.

Additionally, you could find the following articles interesting:

Agustin Adami