The Project Type is not supported by this Installation

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hi,

I'm running visual studio 2010 Ultimate SP1 on WIN xp and VS 2010 Professional SP1 on win 7 machine. I have all the pre requisites installed on my machines. Still whenever I'm opening the solution it is giving me error saying "MileageStats.web.csproj can't be openened. The project type is not supported by this installation." Any help on this why am I seeing this trouble. I have also installed all nuget packages. 

Regards,

Rahul Bhuwal

Developer
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Hi,

In my opinion this problem could be caused by a required dependency that could be missing. For example, this error appears if you don't have the proper version of ASP.NET MVC installed  (in this case: ASP.NET MVC 3).

So far, we could successfully open the MileageStats solution without problems in the scenarios you mentioned:

• Windows XP - Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate SP1
  • Windows Seven - Visual Studio 2010 Professional SP1

Note that, it is very important that you read the Installation Overview and follow Steps 1 - 4 in the Readme file (included in the .exe download, that can also be found in the online documentation).

As a possible approach, you could try deleting the folder where you extracted the .exe download, and then follow the aforementioned steps.

Regards,

Agustin Adami
http://blogs.southworks.net/aadami

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I too received the same error.  In particular I am using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Premium.

As a workaround to be able to build sucessfully (and have VS open the project) - I had to edit the MileageStats\MileageStats.Web\MileageStats.Web.csproj file in a text editor.

I removed line 10 - which declared a <ProjectTypeGuids> element.  I assume this is assumed by VS to determine if a particular edition of VS supports the project type.

Removing this seems to have things working normally and havent seen any ill-effects (yet).

thanks,

Adam

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Great find. Thanks a lot. It works on my machine too.. Wonder what version of Visual Studio it supports.

adversity causes some men to break n some to break records
Rahul Bhuwal

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:22 AM, mradamlacey <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I too received the same error. In particular I am using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Premium.

As a workaround to be able to build sucessfully (and have VS open the project) - I had to edit the MileageStats\MileageStats.Web\MileageStats.Web.csproj file in a text editor.

I removed line 10 - which declared a <ProjectTypeGuids> element. I assume this is assumed by VS to determine if a particular edition of VS supports the project type.

Removing this seems to have things working normally and havent seen any ill-effects (yet).

thanks,

Adam

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (silk@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email silk@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Developer
Jul 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Hi,

I found that another possible reason for this error, could be using a Visual Studio installation without the Visual Web Developer feature installed.

To check this feature you can go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, choose corresponding Visual Studio version and click on "Uninstall/Change" button. Then in the "Add or Remove Features" section look for the Check-box "Visual Web Developer" and add it if missing.

So far, taking this consideration and the aforementioned one, I could open the solution also in Visual Studio 2011 SP1 Premium without problems.

Regarding ProjectTypeGuids, as far as I Know this are used to define the subtypes of a Visual Studio Project (e.g. in this case: Windows (C#), Web Application, MVC 3 Project) and removing them may disable some specific features of those types.

I hope you find this handy,

Agustin Adami
http://blogs.southworks.net/aadami

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

great find.

helped me too.

Cheers,

Kalyan