We have same project plan like silk but we don't know how we do that

May 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Our company has same project like silk but our old project has so many server side control and ascx. Actually we want to convert our old application to new client side application. We decide to use jquery, jquery template and wcf service to feed UI.  We created templates and we use them inside divs. It will be good and interactive. But we dont know how we convert all of ascx,server side control to js code or jquery etc. Could you please an advice for our issue? How would you do this conversion , if you were in this project?

Best Regards,

May 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Hi Unal,

As far as I know, Silk doesn't provide any specifically guidance about aspx / aspc WebForms or how to migrate them to MVC and JavaScript. Also, based on my understanding, there isn't any specific guidance about how to convert WebForms logic to JavaScript; mainly because aspx / ascx pages contain server side logic which might not be directly applicable on the client side.

Therefore, it is possible that most of the logic used in your server side web controls would have to be rewritten and / or redesigned to be used as client side JavaScript. Those design and implementation details will depend mostly on the requirements of your application and the decisions of your development team.

On the other hand (although the Silk guidance is designed to be used mainly on MVC 3,) I believe it might be possible to use aspx pages and ascx controls on the server side, as long as their provide the necessary HTML structure and resources to the client side so that it can be handled dynamically using JavaScript. For this case, I believe you might find the following topics of the Silk documentation useful:

Also, if you are interested in migrating to MVC 3, I believe you might find better support in the ASP.NET forums:

Damian Cherubini